Welcome to the Brooklyn Poetry Slam, an incredible evening of poetry and community led by co-founders Mahogany L. Browne and Jive Poetic! Join our vibrant community and hear, speak, and write poetry.
Each Brooklyn Poetry Slam features a slam competition and open mic that participants can sign up for in-person. Check out upcoming dates and RSVP below.
BROOKLYN POETRY SLAM RULES:
- Brooklyn poetry slam is a two round performance poetry competition.
- Poets are given three minutes to read their own original work.
- Top five poets from the first round will advance to the second round.
- Competitors are prohibited from using animal acts, props, or musical accompaniment.
- Five random judges from the audience score each round on a scale of 0-10. The highest and lowest scores for each poet, in each round, are dropped. The poet with the highest cumulative score is the winner.